Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Case of Mistaken Identity

Last weekend I went with some friends to the Field Museum and spent a couple of hours perusing the Taxidermied Everything exhibit.  Most of the animals I recognized.  Some of them caused what on God's good earth is that?! moments.  But those moments were all with really foreign, uncommon animals that you don't see every old day on National Geographic or, you know, at the dog park.

So this story about people accidentally buying 'roided out ferrets instead of toy poodles kind of surprised me.  Do people frequently see a long slinky-animal and think, "What a cute dog!"  And this has happened with a lamb being mistaken for a standard poodle as well?!

Oh boy.  I worry about the state of humanity sometimes.

Let's face it:  it's pretty funny.  But at the same time, it's worryingly indicative of the casualness with which people acquire pets.  Not only are these people clearly not researching their desired pet, they can't even recognize the difference between the canine and weasel families, or canine teeth and the teeth of an herbivore.  (Let's not even mention any appearances of freaking hooves, shall we?)

Even at a step slightly less stupid, when people can actually tell a dog is a dog, there is the following list of dog breeds frequently mistaken for bull dogs:


  • Alpha Blue Blood Bulldog
  • Rottweiler
  • Catahoula Bulldog
  • Boerboel
  • Chesapeake Bay Retriever
  • Rhodesian ridgeback
  • Presa Canario
  • Patterdale Terrier
  • Olde English Bulldogge
  • Hungarian Vizsla
  • Fila Brasiliero
  • Cane Corso
  • Ca De Bou
  • A "Bully" dog
  • Bull Mastiff
  • Boxer
  • Black Mouth Cur
  • The Argentine Dog or Dogos Argentino
  • American Bulldog
  • Alapaha blueblood Bulldog
  • The Alaunt
  • The Bull Terrier
  • American Staffordshire Terrier
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Is it stupid of me to think that if a person can't immediately recognize a good number of these breeds on sight, then maybe they should do a tiny bit of research before publishing an article or blog post, slapping on a label at a shelter, or--oh, I don't know--passing legislation?


How many of these breeds do you recognize?  Get the answers here.  I can tell you, I didn't do very well.


(True:  This is my second rant this week--sorry.  I'll try to be funny on Friday.)

Quick, someone give me something funny to blog about!

2 comments:

  1. I don't actually know many breed names, so I'm not even gonna bother with the pop quiz, but I just wanted to ask:
    Am I the only one who thinks a Black Mouth Cur sounds like a pirate slur? (rhyme unintentional)

    ReplyDelete